Friday, January 7, 2011

My boxing movies

Well its been 3 months and I need to go back to gym. To do that I needed to pump myself to shrug off the laziness. So, I search for the best sport movies. Most of the list had
Rocky - My fav. I always keep all the parts.
Million dollar baby - Excellent movie. May be one of the best ever made.
Coach Carter
Remember the titans
Cinderalla Man
The Raging Bull

Most of the lists had The Raging Bull on the top of the list. It made me curious. How can I miss the so called boxing movie?

The first thing that you expect from any sports movie is that it should inspire. And the important thing is ethics. Win, loose, team spirit, grit, determination should also be there. Expecting all these I start watching deniro's Raging Bull.
Surprisingly, it had nothing in it to even make you feel like taking a walk in the park forget about pumping weights. To me it was more like a biography of a boxer who was frustrated because he was always suspicious of his wives and took out that frustration on the opponent.
the movie cannot even be put under a sports movie category. There are bouts but only of 10-15 seconds.
Now compare it with Cinderella Man ( I am heavily biased towards Rocky so will not even discuss it). A great movie to watch. It shows the zeal towards life. It shows the importance of being honest at least with one own self. It shows you to respect and love your family. It makes you understand how we should support our friends and family in difficult times.
Each and every scene has been enacted with so much elegance.
And we have Million Dollar baby. For this I will only say that please anybody who has not seen this movie must see it at least once. You may not want to watch it next time but you will never be able to forget Hilary Swank, Clint Eastwood and Morgan Freeman.
In my list
Rocky will be number one
Million dollar baby number two. Rocky scores on feel good factor. Ending of MDB will either leave you speechless or make you cry.
Cinderella Man number three
There is no place for Raging Bulls

No comments: