Sunday, December 7, 2008

That uncanny feeling of helplessness

Wasnt it the same feeling that we all had during Mumbai attacks. You all must be thinking why such a late response. The only reason is I was not getting the right word to put in my emotions. Sometimes it was frustration, sometimes it was anger. But the real feeling was not able to do something. Not able to contribute in any way.
So the question is how I got it now?
The answer lies again in a movie. Troy. Its the same feeling that you can see in the eyes of Helen and King of Troy when Paris challenges Greek king. Like them, we could only watch the happenings on TV. Feeling weak and hands tied. May be swallowing some pride with blood. And the height of helplessness was not able to shed a tear. Couldn't even punch a glass.

4 comments:

Che Guevara on the Road said...

Rightly said mate...I was also going through the same feelings watching the mindless blood-shed & loss of so many lives...the biggest loss being of Major Unni...He was my bhai`s Coursemate in NDA & IMA and I had also met him, drank with him and danced with him during my bhai`s wedding...a really sad day for all of us but loads of lessons also learnt...

I am sure some concrete action would be taken soon other than just removing politicians from their seats and getting new assholes to sit there !!!

Nice Blog...

Cheers...
Che

Aditya said...

yeah ... pretty correct .. helplessness and anguish ....is what i felt .... however ... i saw hope as well.. that things may not be same again and we could see some affirmative action

June said...

Hi Prashant,

I empathise fully with your feelings here. But I'm of the opinion that the problem is deep rooted and hence there is no easy solution. But we must believe that 'there is a solution', cos I believe so and there are many more like me. But things can't be fixed immediately because as I said the causes are deep. However, instead of feeling helpless, I believe that we can make a difference, in our immediate surroundings - through a change in our own attitude and conduct. After all such incidents are also at the end of the day results of hatred, bigotry, helplessness, poverty, prejudices, wrong teachings, besides obvious factors like politics and the system.

Gurpreet Dhariwal said...

I felt the same way when this girl was gang-raped in Delhi. I felt like a part of has been cut off. It made me cry and realized what the fuck we live for? I'm living in a fake country where if you wish to save someone, you're dead too.